A quiet evening and whim for something to do, was the perfect moment to start to design a brewing idea featured early on in the summer. These posters, have taken on a minimal design with a hint of Art Deco typography to accommodate one of my favourite species of bird. The Magpie just pure black and white (I know the bird has iridescent blue in it’s plumage but for simplicity I kept it out). The first three represent the first three lines of the nursery rhyme ‘One for Sorrow’ as I know it, there are many different versions if you search for them.
I will be designing a full set during the week, so another three may make it on here and my Instagram!
Messy Fun Time seems to be a reoccurring thing on a Friday…… (maybe it’s because I have no lectures on this day!)
I am still experimenting with mediums with my promotion and employability unit, this time my adventures took me to the Screen Printing room, to experiment with my logo. The effects were awesome, and I cannot wait to scan these in to enhance the colours!
(I may already have my favourite!!!!)
For the past three months, I have been working tirelessly on a 4000 word report, that explores the evocative natures of Vinyl Records and how they create an experience for the listener. This was intensive and a lot of research was needed to compile into a report and a visual response. The aim originally was to look at album covers, and how they have created an experience but with much discussion and self directed study, it became to looking at the records and the covers as a whole, in how and why they are evocative and culturally popular. This was enlightening and really interesting to read up on, seeing as how vinyl records are now becoming popular again. They’re a old format, but new to the generations today.
I am extremely pleased with my outcome, a 12″ x 12″ book titled ‘Going Round in Circles’, which includes self produced photography, letterpress, interview and quotes from my research. I have also included a mini 7″ x 7″ book, featuring my interview with one of my course mates, and friend, Dan Bass. Another feature to this book as a double sided A2 poster, with letterpress type expressing a word visually, with the images.
I want to share this outcome to show how proud I am, of what I have managed to achieve in three months!!!
I designed my own record label, to add character to the packaging
The cover of my book
The title, is a play on words as well as a figure of speech
A small letter press feature
An example spread, with a quote and image
Some more letterpress and a full double page spread
Part of one side of my poster design
The full side
The other side
Little pouch for my ‘Interview with Dan Bass’ book
The cover for this design
An example spread
Full double page spread, as a page break
Letterpress and an image feature
The back cover
This is what I got up to, today!
As part of my Visual Culture Research Project, on the evocative natures of Vinyl Records, I pressed some type with some words I asked a few people for. This turned out really well and once they’re dry I can scan them and change them up for my outcome, (such as colour, size, position etc.)
Of course I am covered in ink, on my hands, arms, clothes and face. If I came out clean, I wouldn’t be working hard enough or having fun at all!
I haven’t done one of these for a while, as I have been a little preoccupied. I have these spells now and again, of feeling lost, depressed, and unsure on what to do with my self. This evening it’s mostly the feeling of sadness and other things. I came across this quote from Saadi, which I thought was rather poetic. It makes sense to me and I hope it makes sense to anyone who sees this.
As part of my Live Design Brief Unit, at university the first client based project was to design a poster to convince the people about the power of the poster, in the 21st century. This was set by Fenner Paper, a company who specialises in organic and recycled papers.
My response to this brief, was to experiment with inks and drawing on many coffee cups as I could, to try and work away from the computer and make something that was, essentially different to everyone else. My motive was, to bring back the traditional mediums in poster design. Even though I wasn’t short-listed in the pickings, from the client himself, I had good fun designing and producing this piece. It gave me some stress as most projects do, but this was good experience in print production and working to a client based brief.
This time, I spent a few hours in the studio messing around with indian inks, paint brushes and a dip pen. I am going to scan these in, and mess around with them some more, in order to create an innovative and exciting poster design.
Today’s work session, I test printed my book pages, for a unit called ‘Developing Design Practice’ and I did a few screen print experiments.
All of these are rough, because I still need to work out measurements for my dust jacket, not to mention work out what papers I need to use, for my final print.
Black Marker illustration, scanned into photoshop.
Red photoshop brush background, multiplied the flames layer.
Added Orange on another layer, wiht the same brush.
Added Yellow on another layer, wiht the same brush.
Screened the layer, and hey presto we have FIRE!!!
I’m a pyromaniac at heart!
Multiply – means to turn what’s white transparent so other things can show through.
Screen – same as multiply, but turns what’s black see through.